Friday, August 27, 2010

Music is AWESOME!!!

My first concert experience was pretty memorable. I was 8 or 9 years old and went to a Rod Stewart concert with my parents and two of their friends. I remember not knowing what to expect and being really nervous, even more so once I overheard my mom ask my dad if he thought there was a chance that women in the audience would bare their "ta-tas" to good old Rod. Apparently that was the thing to do during Rod's prime, and my mom did not think I was ready for that.
The whole idea of going to a concert just seemed so adult. I remember thinking that even the parking lot was intimidating, with all its rowdy tailgaters and adults everywhere I turned. (Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure I was the only kid in attendance at that concert.) Our seats were in the pavilion, and while we sat there, my parents told me about Rod's ritual of kicking soccer balls into the crowd during his first song. Although our seats were decent, being the naive kid that I was, I firmly believed in my little mind that one of those soccer balls could possibly reach us way, way, waaayyy back in our seats. And just the thought of that made my anxiety soar. Of course I was excited, but still, the anticipation was just becoming too much for me to handle


So after what seemed like forever, the overhead lights in the venue finally went dark. The crowd became insanely loud with cheering and cat-calls, and then ...... then ..... the first gut-wrenching guitar riffs of "Hot Legs" rang out loud and clear. The noise was so powerful and loud that my little 8 or 9-year-old stomach immediately dropped under the weight of all the anticipation and excitement that had been building inside of me.

And .... it all of a sudden hit me. I had to go pee.

A really, really intense "I have to go right NOWWW!" pee.

My poor dad. He had to whisk me away during his all-time favorite song, only to hear the legendary lyrics echo through the cement walls of a bathroom stall. I was such a rookie. 

And I'm telling you all this because for Maribelle, the moment has arrived, at the tender age of 19 months. You guys?? Maribelle is getting her first concert experience this weekend at Yo Gabba Gabba Live! I know, she's going to completely freak her freak on. We ordered the tickets months ago and have been patiently waiting for this day ever since. Sure she won't remember a thing, and of course, it's mostly for me and Jeremy to relish in the pure delight that will no doubt wash over her little toddler face once she sees all her favorite friends on stage. But we promise to take lots of pictures so we can recall every glorious moment to her when she starts asking us questions about her first concert, just like I did to my dad earlier today as I was writing this blog post.


And if she's anything like her mom, seeing a dancing Brobee only a few feet away from her will surely lead to sensory overload for her baby bladder. 

But it's totally cool. Huggies has it all covered.

No comments: